henry: it was from one of my best friends.i paid for it later. so we have never returned the ring back.
亨利:是从我一个最好的朋友那儿借的。后来我付了钱,所以我们一直没有把戒指还回去。
alisa: so tricky you were, honey!
艾丽莎:你可真会耍诡计,亲爱的!
henry: and i was no more happier when i heard “yes” after i said “will you marry me,alisa?”
亨利:当我说完“你愿意嫁给我吗,艾丽莎?”,听到你说“愿意”时,我真的再高兴不过了。
alisa: yeah, the scenes are still in my mind. i was moved by your honesty from your eyes at that moment.
艾丽莎:是啊,那些情景现在仍然历历在目。那一刻我被你眼睛里的真诚打动了。
henry: do you mind that it was a borrowed ring, alisa?
亨利:你现在还介意戒指是借来的吗,艾丽莎?
alisa: no, never. life is very happy these years with you.
艾丽莎:不,从不会。这些年来和你生活得很幸福。
henry: today is a special for us. i'll take you to the gold store, honey. i should buy you a better one.
亨利:今天对我们来说是个特殊的日子。我带你去金店吧,亲爱的。我应该给你买一个更好的。
alisa: how nice you are!
艾丽莎:你真好!
notes
1. anniversary [??ni?v?:s?ri] n. 周年纪念
2. recall [ri?k?:l] v. 记得,回想起,回忆起,使人想起;提醒
3. wrinkle [?ri?kl] n. 皱纹;褶皱;v.(使)起皱纹,皱缩
4. infatuate [in'f?tjueit] v. 被(一时强烈的激情或爱慕)冲昏头脑,迷恋
5. be infatuated with 热恋,着迷
6. propose [pr??p?uz] v. 提出,提议,建议;推荐;向某人求婚
7. tricky [?triki] adj.(形势、工作等)复杂的;狡猾的,诡计多端的;机警的;难处理的
8. honesty [??nisti] n. 诚实,正直,坦诚
小贴士
how to propose? 怎样求婚?
1. are you both ready?你们都准备好了吗?
much more than the proposal, the marriage itself and the fact that you are asking them to spend the rest of their life with you are what it's all about.
2. choose the ring. 选择戒指
stay within your budget(such as spending two month's salary on a diamond)when buying a ring.
3. set the romantic scene. 设置浪漫的场景
it could be the place you had your first date or somewhere you've both always wanted to go but have never been. if you are at home you can create a romantic atmosphere and tailor it to your partner. wherever you choose,you should make it the most popular place to propose.
4. prepare for the unexpected. 未雨绸缪
no matter how much preparation you are going to put into your proposal,it's highly likely that things won't go exactly according to your plan.
步入婚姻殿堂
dialogue
bill and joy are going to get married. now they are preparing for the wedding.
比尔和乔伊要结婚了。现在他们正在为婚礼做准备。
bill: honey, our wedding is coming. i think we shall get everything prepared for that.
比尔:亲爱的,我们的婚礼就快到了。我想我们应该把一切都准备好。
joy: yes, the design of wedding invitation has been completed. i designed it myself.
乔伊:是啊,婚礼请柬的设计已经完成了。是我自己设计的。
bill: oh, my ingenious sweetheart. it is such an elaborate design. the guests will like it very much.
比尔:哇哦,我聪明的宝贝。这真是一个精美的设计。宾客们会非常喜欢的。
joy: don't forget that my major was graphic design in college.
乔伊:别忘了我在大学学的是平面设计专业。
bill: and there's also an exciting thing. i have been waiting for taking our wedding photos for a long time.
比尔:还有一件令人兴奋的事。我期待拍我们的婚纱照已经很久了。
joy: me too, honey. which style do you like best?
乔伊:我也是,亲爱的。你最喜欢哪种风格?
bill: i think the elegant and warm styles are suitable to us. what do you think of it?
比尔:我觉得淡雅温馨的风格最适合我们。你觉得呢?
joy: there's a picture in my mind now. you take me with a bicycle. and we are riding on the countryside road which is full of beautiful flowers on both sides.
乔伊:现在我的脑海里有一副图片。你骑着自行车带着我,走在郊外小路上,小路两旁开满了鲜花。
bill: i can image that. it will be a very brilliant picture. let's choose a good photo studio to make the wonderful idea come true.
比尔:我能想象得到。那将是一张非常出色的照片。我们去选一个不错的影楼,把这个绝妙的想法变成现实。
joy: sure, honey. i'm always of one mind with you.
乔伊:一定,亲爱的。我们总是能想到一块儿。
notes
1. invitation [?invi?tei??n] n. 邀请;请柬,请帖
2. elaborate [i?l?b?rit] adj. 复杂的;精巧的,精心制作的
[i'l?b?reit] v. 详尽说明,详细制定
3. graphic [?gr?fik] adj.绘画的,文字的,图表的;形象的,生动的
4. graphic design 平面设计
5. elegant [?elig?nt] adj. 优美的,文雅的;讲究的;简洁的,简练的
6. brilliant [?brilj?nt] adj. 明亮的;光辉的,辉煌的;聪明的,才华横溢的,卓越的,极好的;(声名)显赫的;n. 宝石,(尤指切割成多面形的)钻石
7. studio [?stju:di?u] n. 播音室,录音室;画室;摄影室,电影摄影棚;制片厂;(艺术家的)工作室
小贴士
结婚周年怎样表达:
paper wedding 纸婚1周年
tin wedding 锡婚2周年
crystal wedding 水晶婚15周年
china wedding 搪瓷婚20周年
silver wedding 银婚25周年
pearl wedding 珍珠婚30周年
ruby wedding 红宝石婚40周年
golden wedding 金婚50周年
diamond wedding 钻石婚60周年
初为人父
dialogue
as a young father, obviously carl doesn't know how to take care of the baby.
作为一个年轻的父亲,卡尔显然不知道怎样照顾婴儿。
carl: linda, our baby had a pee on the bed. you come here to deal with it.
卡尔:琳达,我们的孩子尿床了。你过来处理一下。
linda: doesn't our baby wear any paper diaper?
琳达:孩子难道没有穿纸尿裤吗?
carl: i take a bath for him just now. he doesn't wear anything now.
卡尔:我刚才给他洗了个澡,现在什么都没穿。
linda: oh, how about our bed?
琳达:噢,我们的床怎么样了?
carl: it's all wet now. we need to change a clean bedsheet.
卡尔:现在全湿了。我们需要换一条新床单。
linda: how can you make him piss on the bed? i think you need to have a course of baby care.
琳达:你怎么能让他在床上撒尿?我想你需要去上婴儿护理培训的课程。
carl: i didn't know the baby wanted to have a pee. this is my first time as a father.
卡尔:我不知道他想要撒尿。这是我第一次当爸爸。
linda: ok, i will sign up a training class for you tomorrow.
琳达:好吧,我明天就去帮你报一个培训班。
carl: no, no, no. this kind of class is for mothers, ok? have you seen any man attending this class before?
卡尔:不不不,这种课程是为妈妈们准备的,好吗?你以前见过有男人参加这种课程吗?
linda: but who would take care of our kid if i'm not at home?
琳达:那如果我不在家时谁去照顾我们的孩子?
carl: i have an idea. you resign your job and stay home as a full-time housewife from tomorrow.
卡尔:我有一个想法。从明天开始,你把工作辞了,在家当全职太太好了。
notes
1. pee [pi:] n. 小便,撒尿;v. 小便,去撒尿
2. have a pee 撒尿,小便
3. diaper [?dai?p?] n.(北美)尿布;重复菱形花纹的棉麻织物
4. bath [bɑ:θ] n. 沐浴,洗澡;浴缸;v.(给……)洗澡
5. take a bath 洗澡
6. bedsheet [bed?i:t] n. 床单
7. piss [pis] n. 尿;撒尿;v. 撒尿;倾盆而下
8. resign [ri?zain] v. 辞职;放弃
小贴士
south korea is set to allow up to five days of paternity leave starting next year(in 2012)as an attempt to raise the country's low birth rate. three days are paid leave,and the other two days are unpaid leave. in china, if a wife older than 24 years old gave birth to her first baby, her husband will be entitled to paid leave of 10 days.
韩国将从明年(2012年)开始将“父亲假”延至5天,此举是为了提高韩国的低生育率。其中3天是带薪假期,两天是无薪假期。在中国,如果妻子在24岁后初次生育,丈夫将享有10天的带薪护理假。
无奈的离婚
dialogue
the marriage of andrew and sherry has come to the end.
安德鲁和雪莉的婚姻已经走到尽头了。
andrew: sherry, we shall have a divorce now. i must bring this forward today.
安德鲁:雪莉,我们离婚吧。我今天必须提出来。
sherry: you don't love me any more, is that right?
雪莉:你不再爱我了,对吗?
andrew: sometimes love is not the answer. love can't solve all the problems between us.
安德鲁:有时候爱并不是答案。爱情并不能解决我们之间的所有问题。
sherry: but do you think divorce is good for us? don't you care even a bit about the sentiment between us?
雪莉:但是你认为离婚就对我们好?你难道一点也不在乎我们之间的感情吗?
andrew: but the fact is that we always hold different opinions. sometimes we even quarrel several times in one day. i can't bear it any more.
安德鲁:但事实是我们总是意见不一致。有时我们甚至一天要吵几次架。我再也不能忍受了。
sherry: we quarrel because you don't understand me. you only care about your own feeling.
雪莉:我们吵架是因为你不理解我,你只在意自己的感受。
andrew: maybe it is because we have different dispositions and views of life. we are just not suitable to stay together.
安德鲁:或许是因为我们有着不同的性格和生活观念。我们在一起并不合适。
sherry: you are just like two different people before and after the marriage. you always comforted and pleased me when we were in love. but what i can see all day is your cloudy face after the marriage.
雪莉:你婚前婚后就像是两个人。我们相爱时你经常哄我,让我开心。但婚后我整天能看到的就是你那阴沉的脸。
andrew: i have been too exhausted to love, sherry. you can find one who would love you more.
安德鲁:我已经疲惫得不能再爱了,雪莉。你会遇到更爱你的人的。
sherry: i can understand a saying now: men are always unreliable.
雪莉:我终于理解了一句话:男人是靠不住的。
notes
1. divorce [di?v?:s] n. 离婚,分离; v. 与……离婚,分离
2. bring forward 提出;提议,建议
3. sentiment [?sentim?nt] n.(对怜悯、怀旧等的)柔情;观点,意见
4. disposition [?disp??zi??n] n. 气质,天性,性格;安排,布置
5. exhausted [ig?z?:stid] adj. 耗尽的,用完的;筋疲力尽的,精疲力竭的
6. unreliable [??nri?lai?bl] adj. 不可靠的,不可信任的;不稳定的
小贴士
“离婚”的表达方式:
1. divorce
she has filed a petition for divorce after suffering from long-time domestic violence.
因为长期遭受家庭暴力,她已向法院申请离婚。
2. break up
break up 有“结束一段关系”的意思,比如“结束一段友情,结束一段恋情或者婚姻”。
their marriage broke up last month.
他们上个月离婚了。
3. spill up
they split up after a five-year marriage.
他们结婚长达5年后离婚了。
4. break a marriage
we wouldn't go as far as to break the marriage.
我们还不至于到离婚的地步。